

For me food has been a "drug of choice" most of my life. I eat when I am happy, sad, lonely, bored, you name it and I can find a reason to eat. It really hit me one day when I was at the store with all three of my boys whom I love dearly and am blessed to have but I never want to take them all three at the same time to any store ever. Did I get my point across???? :) I struggle through the store and very quickly found everything I needed but it was not quick enough to avoid the kids bickering and wanting everything in sight. I was frazzeled by the time I got to the car so I quickly pulled out a candy bar and devoured it in probably less than a second. I then took a deep breath, started the car and prceeded home. As I pondered the events of the day I had to step back and was really ashamed that I numbed myself with candy. As a christian it is even more alarming as I know the only way to obtain true peace is through the Father. An idol is anything you put before the Father and believe me food could certainly be called an idol in my life and I can promise you that food has never brought me lasting peace ever!!!! That's why for me I cannot put God in a box and say okay Lord I am going to try to lose weight you take care of bigger things and I will see you on Sunday okay? I know for me to succeed I have to include Him on this journey. How about you? Is food your drug of choice? How do you cope when you so want to numb the emotion you are feeling? I would love to know.
Linda
Linda
5 comments:
I can totally relate. It's been my drug of choice for most of my life as well. I rationalize by telling myself there are worse things I could be addicted to. But really, eating bad foods can be just as toxic for you as some chemical drugs. I'm not quite to the point where I'm ready to buckle down and attack it, but I have my moments. thanks for this blog, I really like it already!
Sugar is my drug of choice. I sure wish that Betty Ford would come up with an outpatient clinic for that addiction!
I love this, I love this, I LOVE THIS BLOG! What a great idea!!!
Ok, make that 4 hotties trapped in fat bodies! *lol* I too have food as my drug of choice. I appreciate you 3 using this blog to chat, to think out loud ... to share.
I'm trying to work on myself through art - journaling, stitching, scrapbooking - doing something creative with my energy & time. Doesn't mean I don't munch my share of M&M's, but hopefully it keeps me from the big bowl of kettle corn. ;o) Now, if I could just send the rest of my body off to physically exercise while I play with my creative (or not *lol*) brain ...
Your thoughts about trying to figure out the "why" of food addiction ... like you, I think that's a thought process I've worked hard at avoiding & need to now face. Please keep up the great work - both within yourselves & through this blog!
Food is my drug of choice too. I haven't struggled with any other addiction, but I have struggled (and probably will struggle) with food my whole life. The only way I will stay healthy is to get a good handle on the situation, but sadly, it will always be a struggle. Even St. Paul had a "thorn in his side" that he struggled with, so at least we know that God is with us during our struggles, and ultimately they remind us that we are to depend on him even more.
I am looking forward to reading all of your thoughts,
David
Life in Your Years Blog
Post a Comment